Thursday, June 25, 2009

MXL 990 Condenser Microphone

The MXL 990 Condenser Microphone is a must have for any band or do it yourself recording person. It is a cheap mic with a great sound. If your band is doing a DIY release and thinking of recording on your own, use this mic. It rocks. Just make sure you have phantom power!
 
I used this mic in combination with a Roland VS-1880 and was very please with its performance with recording a wide variety of instruments and vocals. I started off by using in on a vocal track.
 
For vocals the mic is great. You definitely need to get a pop filter or you will peak the meters on your P's. The mic has no color added and it will sound exactly as your ear hears it. Don't expect for the MXL 990 to add color like a tube or ribbon mic.
 
Next I tried this on a bass and electric guitar. It worked for both very well but much better on the bass. I experimented with a number of different locations but I could never get a great sound on the guitar. For the bass though, no matter where the mic was placed, the sound was great.
 
Wanting to see how this baby would be as a solo mic for a band to record an entire album, i tried it on the drums. I used two of these as overheads and got pretty much what I expected. the snare and cymbals rang out and the toms were very soft in the mix. next I tried one mic placed about 20 feet away from the drums and 3 feet off the ground. BOY WAS I SURPRISED. The drums actually sounded pretty good. It would not be the way i would normally record drums but if you NEEDED to , you definitely could record the drums this way.
 
if you are looking to buy one take a look at Musicians Friend....

No comments:

Post a Comment